HMS Richards Adventist School strives to project a positive, professional image on campus and in the community. The principles that guide our dress code are consistent with our standards of educational excellence and are designed to encourage modesty and simplicity.
Here are highlights from our dress code. You can read the entire policy on page 22 of our School Handbook.
Pants, skirts, etc:
- Pants, Shorts, Skirts, Skorts, Capris, Gauchos and Jumpers: Plain solid color, Khaki or Navy Blue, twill or corduroy, any brand fine.
- Designs, contrasting stitching, embroidery, emblems, insignias, monograms, and logos other than HMS’s are not allowed.
- Saggy, baggy, pants not allowed.
- No undergarment waistbands can be exposed.
- No footless tights, track pants, sweat pants, flannel pants, p.j. pants, camouflage pants, fleece pants, cargo pants or jeans.
- No ripped, torn, or frayed clothing allowed.
- For garments with belt loops, a belt is encouraged.
- Skirts, dresses, jumpers, skorts, and scooters must come to the top of the knee or below when standing.
- Shorts must cover at least 3/4 of the thigh when standing.
Shoes & Socks:
- Close-toed shoes are required (tennis/running/court shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, or slip-ons)
- If the shoes have laces, they must be laced up and tied.
- No flip flops or beach sandals allowed.
- Socks are required UNLESS wearing closed toed strapped sandals.
- Hats: No hats, caps, hoods may be worn within the school building.
- Appropriate coats, jackets, and fleece pullovers may be worn to school and during recess, but will not be worn during the day inside of the school building.
- Long or short sleeved collared plain polo shirts required in NAVY, WHITE, GREY, RED, PINK, OR BLACK. Any brand okay.
- Long or short sleeved Oxford shirts or buttoned blouses in the same colors (as above) are acceptable.
- Transparent blouses, through which undergarments can be seen, are not acceptable.
- All shirts must have collars and sleeves. No cut off tops allowed.
- Cardigan, V-neck, and crew neck sweater vests are allowed in the classroom over polo/Oxford shirts.
- No designs, emblems, insignias, monograms or logos on polo shirts, Oxford shirts, blouses or sweaters.
- Solid undershirts may be worn under polo/Oxford shirts with only the neck line showing. Undershirts must be the same unified dress code colors—NAVY, WHITE, GREY, RED, PINK , OR BLACK. Undershirts may not have designs, emblems, insignias, monograms or logos.
- Field Trip Attire: Nice jeans, or jean shorts (no holes) may be worn with NAVY HMS LOGO POLO (required to be worn unless otherwise specified by staff.) NOTE: You may order HMS logo polo shirts for $15 at the beginning of the school year. Please contact the office.
- Cosmetics: If worn, make-up and nail polish should be natural in appearance.
- Jewelry: Jewelry is not permitted, unless medically required.
- Hair Color: Hair color should not be an unnatural color.
- Fridays and early dismissal days: You may wear jeans with any color shirt/blouse/sweater, as long as it conforms the unified dress code as stated above.